Guidelines for Proposing Conferences
The Research Department of The Huntington typically hosts six two-day academic conferences every year, and the Director of Research welcomes the submission of proposals from scholars, based either in the United States or elsewhere, who are interested in convening conferences which either reflect or build upon the strength of the collections held in the institution. The conferences are funded and hosted by The Huntington, but are the responsibility of the conveners to develop and explain the intellectual rationale of the gathering: in particular, why is the time right for a conference on this theme?; and why is The Huntington the appropriate venue to hold it?
- Take place at The Huntington over two days (almost invariably a Friday and Saturday)
- Include a maximum of twelve speakers, only four of whom can be invited from overseas
- Accommodate and provide hospitality (at the Caltech Athenaeum) for the
conveners and speakers for three nights (or four, if traveling from overseas)
- Reimburse the travel expenses of conveners and speakers (but do not pay honorarium)
- Charge a registration fee of $25 for attendees (waived for students); and add a nominal charge of $20 for lunch
Applications should include:
- Conference title
- Convener contact details (including email addresses)
- 1000-word rationale for the conference explaining its themes and research questions
- List of titles for each session
- List of speakers
The next round of applications is for conferences to be held, at the earliest, between September 2017 and May 2018, but most likely during the 2018-19 academic year.
Application deadline: March 18, 2016. Decisions made by: April 15, 2016
Prospective conveners should email applications as .doc attachments to Carolyn Powell at firstname.lastname@example.org to whom all preliminary inquiries should also be addressed. Applicants must be flexible with respect to the precise date within the academic year that the conference may be held. All applications will receive an acknowledgment of receipt.