Registration Closed [Club Filled]
June 27–July 1 (Mon.–Fri.) | 9 a.m.–noon
Aug. 1–Aug. 5 (Mon.–Fri.) | 9 a.m.–noon
*Select one week; both weeks are identical in content and programming.
Registration includes all supplies and materials.
Ages 5 & 6
Embark on a quest to find all the colors of the rainbow! Explore color in nature and in The Huntington's art and library collections. Then learn all about the colors in the garden and make your own paints from plants. Learn about how rainbows occur and find them in the Children’s Garden in the fog grotto. Becoming an artist and a scientist and going on a color quest has never been more fun!
Ages 7 & 8
Have you ever wondered how you can help protect and preserve life on our planet? Become an eco-inventor! Learn about the characteristics and behaviors of living things: design like an insect, build like a bird, and become inspired by nature for your own creative inventions. Become a pollinator hero, explore biomimicry, and learn what you can do to help protect all the living things around us.
Ages 9 – 13
The Photo Collective
Do you love taking pictures? Photos capture important moments, experiences, people, and places. From daguerreotypes to Snapchat and Instagram, the technology continues to evolve, but the inspiration behind capturing moments in time remains the same. Get inspired to make your own photo series in this week-long photography workshop dedicated to creating and developing your own stories. Learn about the history of photography, and go behind-the-scenes with The Huntington's Curator of Photography, Linde Lehtinen. Explore contemporary voices and social justice through photography in the Borderlands exhibition and mount your own outdoor photography show at The Huntington for friends and family to enjoy. iPads will be provided for this class.
What You Need to Know
Explorers Club runs five consecutive days (Monday–Friday) with three-hour morning workshops from 9 a.m.–noon. Most programs are outdoors so participants should dress accordingly. No lunch or snacks will be provided; participants should bring their own bagged snacks (labeled with child’s name). Pick-up is at noon outside Rothenberg Hall.
Each class uses The Huntington's collections as inspiration for engaging arts, history and science-related activities. Explorers Club focuses on topics that emphasize active learning, exploration, and most of all, fun! All camp sessions are created with inclusive and age-appropriate activities tailored to the multiple ways kids learn. Explorers Club also includes unique behind-the-scenes experiences with curators and special guests.
Explorers enjoy a staff-to-child ratio ranging from 1:5 to 1:7 depending on age group. Instructors are passionate educators who are experts in their fields, have undergone training and a background check.
Inclusion and Accessibility
Ensuring that each child has a safe and enjoyable experience is our highest priority. We aim to create an inclusive and accessible experience for all participants. Explorers Club is designed to meet the needs of all participants with different ways to engage through empowerment and channeling the strengths and interests of each child. Please contact us if you have questions regarding accommodations for your child at email@example.com. To ensure that Explorers Club is a positive experience for everyone, your child must have attended Kindergarten at the time of enrollment. Please contact us if you have any other questions about which session is the best fit for your child.
- All Explorers Club participants must be vaccinated to participate.
- Masks are required for all Explorers Club participants during indoor sessions except when eating and drinking. Snack time will be held outside in socially distanced groups.
- All Explorers Club staff and volunteers are fully vaccinated and boosted, and will wear masks indoors.
- The majority of programming is held outdoors. Limited indoor programming is held in large gallery and theater spaces with ample space between participants to allow for social distancing.
- Classroom learning includes workstations spaced apart to allow for social distancing. Individual workstations are set up with separate supplies so that there is no sharing of materials.
- The drop off and pick up of Explorers Club participants will take place outdoors.
- If participants or their families experience symptoms of COVID-19 or have been exposed to individuals who have experienced symptoms of COVID-19, they must notify Huntington staff immediately at 626-405-3457 or 626-405-2104.
- Should safety protocols change before Explorers Club begins, participants will be notified.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
The last day to cancel your Explorers Club and receive a full refund is Monday, June 6, 2022. Note: if Explorers Club is cancelled due to COVID-19, full refunds will be issued. If participants miss a class due to illness, partial refunds will be issued accordingly.
Please call Joy Yamahata at 626-405-3457 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.