Already a volunteer?
The Huntington is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for volunteers. Our program offers a wide range of activities for participants as young as 14, from gardening to assisting guests with wayfinding, to engaging with visitors about the collections. We offer training, enrichment, and community-building opportunities to our volunteers throughout the year, in addition to discounts, service awards, and an annual recognition event.
- Join a dedicated community—1,200 strong!—ages 14 to 80+
- You don’t need an art degree, green thumb, or a background in history
- Application opens for two months every August, December and April
- Exclusive benefits including discounts, early entrance, and invitations to special events
- Adult volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of 8 hours of volunteer service per month for either 6 months or 1 year depending on assignment. Some assignments allow for flexible self-scheduling, while others, like gardening, ask for a weekly 3-hour shift.
- Teen volunteers are asked to commit to a weekly 2-hour assignment for a 4-month term with the potential to participate in additional terms.
Applicants over 18 should apply to join the adult volunteer program. Our application opens in April, August, and December* of each year for a two-month period and we welcome a variety of levels of experience from novice to expert.
Adults interested in becoming a Huntington Volunteer can apply after April 1, 2024.*
* We will not be accepting applications during the December 2023/January 2024 application period. We appreciate your interest and hope you apply when applications reopen in the Spring.
We accept applications from prospective teen volunteers as young as 14 years of age. Our vibrant teen program runs year-round with terms beginning in February, June, and September. Applicants will receive information about how to sign up for the next available triannual group interview after submitting their application.
What to Expect
- Applications are accepted during three open periods each year. Please note, we receive a high volume of applications and are not able to place every applicant. Applications received during the open period will be offered opportunities to attend information sessions and orientation for open assignments with placements being made before the next open application period.
December 1-January 31
April 1-May 31
August 1-September 30
After submitting your application, you will be contacted by email within 4-6 weeks and directed to sign up to attend an information session or interview depending on your areas of expressed interest.
Volunteers are accepted based on their potential for personal growth, positive impact, and availability.
If offered a volunteer assignment, you will be invited to attend an orientation, meet other volunteers, and begin training for your new assignment.
If you have questions about your application, or available assignments, please contact the volunteer office, email@example.com or call 626-405-3429.